Expert Forensic Scientist’s opinion: Oscar Pistorius case
The background of this expert:
Dr David Klatzow holds a PhD in Medical Biochemistry and stands out among our few forensic science experts. With more than twenty-eight years experience, he has appeared as witness in numerous cases, as an advisor to both plaintiffs and defendants. Some of the high profile cases were: the Helderberg crash, Guguletu 7, Piet Retief massacre and the murder of Brett Keble.
In November 2011 whilst lecturing in Durban, Klatzow said South Africa would be in deep “trouble” if forensic scientists continued to work hand in hand with the state because some police officers did not collect evidence thoroughly.
Nothing has changed yet!
In a recent radio interview, he pointed out the ‘stupid’ actions of certain officers in this investigation. Specifically the officer that picked up a gun without gloves and the scene that wasn’t cordoned off, allowing some persons entrance to take cellphone photos.
Dr. Klatzow used the following example: Barry Roux has shot many holes in the police vehicle, but has by no means stopped it in its tracks. It is still moving with enough evidence to give the state a strong case.
Mr. Roux fired some shots just for the fun of it.
Answers that Oscar Pistorius will have to supply
In the days to come, there will be the classic ‘Gunfight at dawn’ where the two gunslingers involved will be the state forensic investigators and the forensic investigators hired by Oscar. Especially regarding the trajectory of the bullets.
Questions that will be asked to Oscar Pistorius:
- What was it that he heard to make him think it was a burglar.
- Why did he think his life was endangered.
- Why did he not speak to the intruder or fire a warning shot.
- Why did he not use the panic button in his home.
- From where exactly did he shoot.
- If they were in bed by 10 o’clock, why is there proof that Reeva had eaten 2 hours before death.
- At what pace did he fire the 4 shots.
- What sounds did he hear in between the shots.
- Why did he forget to check if Reeva was safe.
- Why would Reeva go to the toilet at 3 in the morning with her cellphone and lock the door.
This game is not even nearly finished and the last whistle is still a long way off!
Trusted and Affordable South African Insurance Providers
Contact any or all of the following TOP South African Insurance Companies for outstanding insurance you can afford:
1st for Women
Auto & General
Image: Courtesy of: klatzow.co.za