Easy Easter Hot Cross Buns you can make
It’s Easter time again and the shops are filled with Easter eggs, chocolate bunnies, chickens and even chocolate fish. This year, why don’t you make your own Easter hot cross buns?
Here is a quick and easy recipe for Easter hot cross buns that you can make in almost no time and impress your family.
Easy Easter Hot Cross Buns (24)
850g cake flour
200g (1½ cups) icing sugar
150g (170ml) margarine / butter
30ml (2Tbsp) baking powder
10ml (2tsp) bicarbonate of soda
200g safari cake mix or bakers mix (Raisins, Sultanas and dried Citrus peel)
10 ml (2tsp) mixed spice
500 ml milk
50 ml apricot jam
100 ml water
Decorate: Cross on Hot Cross Buns
250ml (1 cup) flour
15ml (1tbsp) margarine or butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Sift the dry ingredients together (excluding Bicarbonate of Soda).
- Beat the eggs and milk together. Add the Cake Mix and Bicarbonate of Soda to the liquid.
- Add the margarine to the dry ingredients and rub in until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients bit by bit. Do not over-mix the dough (the dough must have a soft texture but still workable).
- Press the soft dough to a thickness of ± 4 cm and cut buns out with a cutter. Place the buns relatively close to one another on a greased baking sheet.
For the cross on the top of the bun:
- Sift the flour and add the margarine. Rub in until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the water bit by bit until the dough is easily stirred. Mix well to a smooth dough.
- Using a piping bag, squeeze horizontal and vertical lines on top of the buns.
- Bake at 180C for ± 30 minutes until golden brown.
For the Glaze:
- Heat the apricot jam and water together until well mixed.
- Spread the syrup over the hot buns. Serve warm.
Keep your kitchen intact
Before you start baking to your heart’s content, make sure that you have adequate Home Insurance – just in case the cooking and baking goes awry …
Get excellent and affordable Home Insurance from:
1st for Women
Auto & General
.Recipe courtesy of: